Get your teeth into National Smile Month!
This year’s National Smile Month starts on 13 May, and our public health (school) nurses are inviting you as parents and carers to make a pledge that will encourage kids to develop good dental health habits.
For example, you could pledge to:
- Take your child to see the dentist every six months– NHS dental care for children is free, and you can find an NHS dentist at www.nhs.uk/dentists
- Remind your child to brush their teeth before bedtime and in the morning with fluoride toothpaste – the free Brush DJ app (downloadable from www.brushdj.com) has a great two minute timer
- Replace your child’s toothbrush every couple of months – worn brushes won’t clean effectively
- Lift your child’s top lip regularly to check for early signs of decay – look out for chalky white lines along the gum, followed by brown spots that don’t rub off
- Keep sugary foods and drinks to mealtimes, and ensure your children stick to water (not flavoured) or plain milk in between
Download a pledge card at www.healthforkids.co.uk/leicestershire/get-your-teeth-into-national-smile-month - you could stick it up somewhere the whole family can see it. And why not get your kids to play our fun toothbrushing game, ‘Shine Time – Stop that Sugar’? Can they beat the clock and keep teeth healthy? Visit www.healthforkids.co.uk