Sour Power Cake Towers
Ingredients (makes 9 portions ):
Dr. Oetker Baking Powder Sachet (1 tsp)
- 50 g Unsalted Butter (2 oz)
- 100 g Icing Sugar (3 1/2 oz) & extra for dusting
- 20 ml Whole Milk Approx. (4 tsp)
- 125 g Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll White Icing (4 1/2 oz)
- 10 g Dr. Oetker Sour Strands
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven, 350°F, gas 4). Lightly grease an 18cm (7 inch) square cake tin. Put the margarine, sugar, eggs and Lemon Extract in a bowl.
- Sieve the flour and Baking Powder on top. Using an electric whisk, beat the ingredients together for a few seconds until creamy and well blended.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, smooth the top and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden and just firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes then turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, put the butter in a bowl and gradually sieve and mix the icing sugar into the butter until smooth and creamy. Mix in sufficient milk to make a soft, spreading icing.
- Dust the work surface lightly with icing sugar and knead the Regal-Ice gently to soften it.
- To assemble the cakes, cut out 9 rounds from the centre of the baked sponge using a 5cm (2 inch) plain round pastry cutter – keep the edges and trimmings for cake pops or truffles.
- Roll out the Regal-Ice to a thickness of about 0.5cm (1/4inch). Cut out 9 rounds using the same cutter, re-rolling as necessary. Spread the top of each cake with a little butter icing and stick a Regal Ice circle on top to completely cover the cake top. Empty the Sour Power Strands on to a small plate.
- Working on one cake at a time, carefully spread the sides from top to bottom with a thin layer of the soft butter icing. Press the sides of the cake into the Sour Power Strands and place on a serving plate. Repeat to cover all the cakes. Smooth the Regal Ice tops using your fingers, lightly dusted in icing sugar, and gently rubbing until smooth.
- To serve, sprinkle the tops with a few more Sour Power Strands, and enjoy!