Lemony Easter Chicks
Ingredients (makes 25 chicks):
- 2 medium egg whites
- 100g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp cornflour
- grated zest ½ lemon plus 1 tsp juice
- yellow food colouring paste
- orange, black and yellow icing pen, to decorate
- Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and put a medium-sized plain nozzle on a piping bag.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are very stiff. Add half the sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture is becoming firm and shiny.
- Stir the cornflour into the remaining sugar and add to the meringue, along with the lemon zest and juice, and a smidge of yellow food colouring paste. Whisk again until you have a very thick, firm and glossy pale yellow meringue.
- Carefully spoon the meringue into the piping bag. Push any air out of the top and tightly twist the opening to seal. Pipe about 25 thumb-sized dollops onto your baking sheet – if possible, try to make them wider at the base than the top, resembling a chick’s body and head. Leave a gap between each chick to allow for expanding when cooking.
- Cook in the oven for 30 mins until they are crisp, firm and come off the baking parchment easily. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
To decorate, use the orange icing pen to make a V-shaped beak, and a black icing pen for eyes and feet. The yellow icing pen can be used to decorate fluffy hair on the chick’s head and/or wings. Will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
Recipe from www.bbcgoodfood.com