Explore Archaeology this Summer!
The summer holidays are an ideal time for exploring archaeology and this summer the Festival of Archaeology offers a variety of exciting experiences from 13 – 28 July 2019.
The Festival of Archaeology is coordinated by the Council for British Archaeology and showcases the very best of archaeology for everyone.
- Join us in the launch of the Festival of Archaeology at the British Museum on 13 July. There will be activities for all ages, from hand-on sessions in the Great Court to demonstrations on the front lawns. You’ll get a taste of what it takes to become a real-life archaeologist and get to meet members of Time Team.
- Get your hands dirty and get digging in a wealth of family friendly activities taking place across the UK.
- Feel Crafty? Have a go at a range of arts and crafts activities including stone age painting, mosaic making, decorating a Roman scabbard or brass rubbing
- Experience the places where people in the past lived and worked including stone-age hill-forts, Roman villas and Anglo-Saxon Halls
- Get your hands on objects and discover their secrets, solve archaeological puzzles or investigate animal archaeology
- Explore the archaeology of your area, watch experts at work, & experience the excitement of archaeology on a dig.
- Experience life in the past with living history, re-enactors, food tasting and much more
Why not visit the Festival of Archaeology website https://festival.archaeologyuk.org/ and find an event near you. You might also want to join the Young Archaeologists’ Club, which runs branches all year round, across the UK – check out https://www.yac-uk.org/faqs-grown-ups