Tips on having a stress free Christmas
‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring… or are the kids bouncing off the walls in a sugarcoated frenzy?
Here’s some tips on keeping stress to a minimum and enjoying Christmas with your little ones.
1. Pick a date: that Christmas prep will start, to keep the run-up under control. Maybe the day you put the Christmas tree up.
2. Presence over presents: remind little ones what Christmas is about, reinforce that family time and kindness is just as important as presents!
3. Manage gift expectations: pick present categories – e.g. a reading present, a creative present, something to wear, sweetie present, a game or a toy.
4. Routine: stick to the regular bedtime and waking routine – even if it’s moved a little later on each side – help to manage moods.
5. Keep them busy: delegate simple Christmas tasks and keep the kids involved and occupied.
6. Get outside: don’t forget there’s nothing better than fresh air and a run around to wear out excitable kids (and adults!)
7. Share the timetable for Christmas Day: e.g. when they can have their presents, dinner, when Grandma will arrive – so they know what to expect.
8. Most importantly, take a moment for yourself: don’t stress, accept imperfections. Does it matter if things go wrong on Christmas Day? Keep it simple, manageable and serve up the Christmas that everyone enjoys!