Children's Birthday Party Ideas in Dorset
Your child’s birthday - it’s the one day out of the 365 that is extra special to you and your child, so naturally you want to make it a memorable day!
To help you decide what to do for your child’s party, what party treats to buy or what entertainer to use we’ve added some top tips for you here...
So, what are the latest Children's Party Trends for 2019?
Science and Slime Parties
Science and Slime parties engage young minds with a combination of thrilling demonstrations, wacky experiments and plenty of hands-on activities.
Many science party companies run age-related, interactive games so children can concoct exciting things such as gooey DIY slime, amazing bubbles and colour-changing potions. Enormous fun and educational too.
Unicorn, Rainbow and My Little Pony Parties
Unicorns, Rainbow and My Little Pony are big news at the moment, so if your child wants this as his or her party theme, you will be spoilt for choice as many shops and partyware stores currently provide a mass of items to suit all budgets.
Add an extra element of surprise with some fun quirky goodies such as rainbow juice, unicorn photo booth props, rainbow wands, unicorn magic potion or My Little Pony invites.
Fairy Tents and Indoor Teepees
Fairy Tents and Indoor Teepees are great places for the children to enjoy a mini adventure away from the watchful eye of the adults in charge. Inside their ‘secret’ den they can use their wildest imaginations to tell fantastic stories and play fun spy games.
Furnish the tent or den with sparkly fairy lights or lanterns and pad it out with cosy rugs and comfortable cushions. A food hamper filled with a feast of cupcakes, chopped fruit and snacks will go down a treat too. For inspiration take a look at the Pinterest pages – fairy tents and indoor teepees
Computer Gaming Parties
Video game, console and coding parties bring birthday celebrations well into the 21st century, and have become hugely popular party options among boys and girls.
The games can be put into an inclusive multiplayer mode enabling youngsters to challenge each other in a fun way. The choice of games is vast – choose from singing and dancing games, or football and Minecraft games, for example.
Ice-cream and Milkshake Parties
Ice-cream and milkshake parties offer a really appetising option, enabling guests to have fun concocting their own indulgent delicacy.
Many family friendly cafes and venues provide this type of party where half the fun is consuming the final creation. Needless to say, this a great option for those on a budget, as the food is part of the package.
Make sure you don't forget anything important by using this party checklist. Click on the links below for more...
Here are some details about party providers and entertainers in Dorset:
Mighty Claws Adventures
Tel: 01202 436 436
Release your little dinosaurs into the wild to experience a monster amount of fun at Mighty Claws Adventures at Playgolf Bournemouth! There are eighteen holes of dinosaur fun to be enjoyed for just £12.95 per child. This includes food from the kids party menu with unlimited squash, party invites, and the birthday child receives a Mighty Claws boom from The Mighty Claws Team. T&C’s apply. Find the Mighty Claws at Playgolf Bournemouth, Riverside Avenue, Christchurch, BH7 7ES.
Peeks of Bournemouth Ltd
Tel: 01202 489489
Whatever the occasion, look no further than Peeks Party Store in Christchurch as they have it all! They sell fancy dress costumes, balloons, party novelties, themed party packs, personalised sashes, a balloon delivery service and much more.
Peeks have been in business for over 65 years helping people celebrate special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, Halloween, Christmas, New Year and much, much more. Visit them at their massive 8,200sq ft store in Reid Street, Christchurch, BH23 2BT or view their full range online.
Tel: 01202 711570
Want a birthday party where there’s no cake in the carpet, or dinner on the dog? Then Lemur Landings have got it covered, from exciting adventures around the giant play frame to a spacetastic adventure with phaser tag fun.
The parties are great value for money and will give you, your child and their friends a happy, special time. Hop onto the website for all the party options or call the party hotline.
Children’s Chocolate Parties
Tel: 01202 556857
‘Children’s Chocolate Parties’ is continuing to grow rapidly. Covering all counties positioned between Bournemouth and London, business owner Leoni is able to visit your home or venue of your choice to run a fantastic chocolate party for your children.
In Bournemouth, parties can also be held at Children’s Chocolate Parties’ own venue. An additional service are cookery parties which can be held at home. Everything is provided and all-party goers can take home what they have made, apart from pizza making – where they sit and eat their creation. Suitable for all children aged from 6 to 13. There are different options to suit different ages.
RockReef parties are perfect for young adventurers! Based on Bournemouth Pier, RockReef Activity Centre offers healthy, fun activities for ages 4 and up.
Challenges include 28 climbing walls, a HighLine aerial obstacle course, pier cave, vertical slide and more. Party packages start from £14pp including 1 ½ hours activity plus a choice of party food in the RockReef café. The party host receives a free go on the vertical slide and a Clip ‘n’ Climb voucher.
Tel: 01305 780343
Bella Ceramics offer a choice of Bronze, Silver and Gold party packages. Aside from the ceramic painting, Bella Ceramics can also supply traditional party food picnic boxes too.
Plus, Bella Ceramics is pleased to introduce a new addition to its studio - beautiful WoW Silver – which is sterling silver jewellery where your baby or child’s hand or footprints are beautifully captured forever onto sterling silver jewellery. From heart and drop pendants to bracelets and charms, there is a large catalogue of products to choose from, including leather key fobs.
Laser Quest, Bournemouth
Tel: 01202 556888
It’s always party time at Laser Quest Bournemouth! Party packages include 2 or 3 games of Laser Quest and a refreshing soft drink. Dedicated party hosts look after the party guests in a reserved party area where they will be served delicious hot food, unlimited soft drinks, ice cream and the birthday cake.
Laser Quest birthday parties are fun for everyone. They’re hassle free for parents and offer loads of fun for kids who leave with a party bag full of goodies. Other party options include the popular ‘Kids Club’ session.
Pop Idol for a Day
Tel: 01202 746049 or 07941 429313
For that unique birthday treat why not book a singing party at Pop Idol for a Day Recording Studio in Poole? They have various children’s birthday singing packages where each singer goes away with a personalised CD and a party bag.
All the latest songs are available and after the singing, the studio turns into a disco party. You can take food or order a pizza delivery to the studio. See the 5 star reviews on Facebook.
Tel: 01202 483444
Adventure Wonderland, the multi-award winning family theme park opposite Bournemouth Airport, is a great place to throw a birthday party.
There's a great range of outside rides and attractions, including Jungle Falls, Runaway Train, Ghostly Galleon and Battle Boats.
There’s also the south's largest hedge maze and the huge Aztec Wild Thing indoor adventure play centre! So, the kids will have a fabulous time, whatever the weather.
The party deal includes unlimited all day full park play, exclusive use of the party room for one hour, a hot meal and ice lolly, plus there is one free adult place with every booked child.
Roller City South
Tel: 07557 339773
Roller City South is bringing the remarkably retro fun of the roller disco to venues in Christchurch, Poole, Wimborne and Salisbury - and has been doing so for over 30 years.
Whether you are a beginner or a roller skate whizz, everyone is welcome at Roller City South. It’s has two wonderful party packages available too.
Tel: 07979 184297
From festivals to disco's, Festidolls cover a wide variety of occasions to suit your needs across the South coast. This festival, glitter-inspired business is run by professional hair and make-up artists, Emma and Louise, who have over 12 years’ experience in the industry. Photo shoots take place in a professional studio in Poole, which includes a craft table, glitter hair and make-up and fun music. Additional food options are available too. All the photos are given out, at no extra expense.
Sport BU Kids
Tel: 01202 965012
Sport BU kids’ parties are a brilliant way for children to celebrate their big occasion with activities such as magicians, animal adventures, neon nerf, a bouncy castle, sports, craft and there are biscuit party options too!
The ‘Perfect Party Package’ enables the party host to build the special day the way they want it. SportBU delivers fabulous kids parties and deals with all of the planning and organisation. The price includes 1 hour with a specialised instructor, a gift for the birthday child and 1 hour in an air conditioned studio for birthday snacks.
Tel: 01202 711570
Anytime is flume time but Splashdown is also perfect for party-time. Enjoy a good old splash about with friends, down the slides, or on tyre through the Mississippi Drifter. Splashdown parties are great fun and great value.
Options with and without food are available as well as the ultimate combo party which is flume time in Splashdown and play time in the award winning play centre, Lemur Landings. Parties start from £14 pp and are a hassle-free way to build some happy birthday memories with your family.
Farmer Palmer’s Farm Park
Tel: 01202 622022
‘Teddy Mountain - Make a Bear’ parties are launching at Farmer Palmer's in March 2019. This premium package, with full use of the Farm Park, free admission for two adults, food, cake, party bags and opportunities to ‘stay all day’ starts from £25 per child. The training and magical experience is what sets this attraction apart.
These parties are not currently available on its party booking system, however if you would like to find out more information register your interest by emailing their team on firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information and desired party date.
Children will have plenty of fun celebrating their special day with their friends at one of Everyone Active’s birthday parties. All party guests will have a day to remember, whether it’s at a swimming party with inflatables or one of the sports parties.
Birthday parties or special celebrations can be taken to another level with the new range of XTREME party games which include Battlezone Archery, Goggle Football, Turbo 10 Cricket, Xtreme Ballseye, Dodgeball, Bubble Football/Games and Old School Sports Day.
Pavilion Dance South West
Tel: 01202 203630
PDSW's private party packages are a great way to have fun. Pavilion Dance is a unique, beautiful space with the best facilities, plus it is located right on Britain’s best beach. Your bespoke dance party package includes a professional dance teacher who will create super fun dance routines to your choice of dance style and music. With extra gifts for the birthday boy or girl and your choice of cake, you can create a party package to suit your little one.
The Bourne Academy Community Lettings
Tel: 01202 528554
If you are looking for a children’s party venue in Bournemouth, look no further than The Bourne Academy’s Community Lettings. It has various spaces available to hire including The Lawn, Sports Hall, MUGA, Drama and Dance Studios and a Hall.
It boasts ample parking and free wi-fi for all customers. The team are pleased to announce a special offer of £50 for 3 hours of room hire – to get this great offer just quote: PARTYTIME. Email Vicky Spence on email@example.com
Party Checklist: For parties at home
- Decide on the timings and date of the party
- Decide on how many children you can comfortably accommodate in your house
- Send out the invitations
- Sort out the entertainment if it’s required. Book the entertainer, face painter, bouncy castle
- Plan in the fun factor or create a theme
- Sort out a music playing device
- Select party games for the children to play
- Source decorations, party tableware, balloons and party hats
- Purchase the food and drink
- Get the birthday cake
Party Checklist: For parties at a venue
- Sort out party numbers
- Create a small list of your child’s favourite party venues in preferential order
- Check the availability of the venues and if there are any special deals
- Book a date and time with the venue. Pay the deposit
- Get the name and telephone number of the main party organiser at the venue
- Get the party invitations from the venue and send them out
- Sort out the food with the venue and establish whether a birthday cake is supplied
- Confirm numbers with the venue prior to the day
Party game ideas
Traditional party games always go down a treat. Here’s a list of some of the most classic children’s games:
- Pass the Parcel
- Musical Statues
- Musical Bumps
- Musical Chairs
- Chinese Whispers
- Blind Man’s Donkey
- Animal Charades
- Treasure Hunt
And here are a few new party game ideas –
- The Tray Game
- Dead Ants
- Doughnuts on a String
- Marsh-mallow Bobbing
- Piñata Games
Remember to stock up on prizes to award to the winning children.
Party Food Ideas
- The birthday cake!
- A choice of sandwiches with simple fillings such as plain ham, cheese and tuna. Mix some salad leaves into some of the sandwiches – if the children don’t like it they can always take out the salad! Think about supplying some healthy options which are visually appealing and tasty.
- Chopped up vegetables such as carrots, mangetout, peppers, cucumber with cream cheese or houmous for dips
- Cheese straws
- Potato wedges
- Pizza slices
- Mini sausages and sausage rolls
- Cheese and pineapple on sticks (or uncooked sticks of spaghetti)
- Crisps and popcorn
- Chopped fruit
- Mini-sponge cakes
- Jelly Boats made from scooped out and quartered oranges. (Halve an orange, scoop out the fruit, fill it with jelly. Once set, cut into quarters)
- Drinks: Either orange and blackcurrant squash, fruit water, fruit juice, milkshakes or plain water
Quick and Easy Chocolate Hedgehog Cake
- Buy or bake a round sponge cake.
- Divide the cake into three parts, the middle should be slightly bigger than the two sides, which should be the same size as each other.
- Cut a V-shape at the end of the middle piece of cake (this is the hedgehog’s nose). Discard the two smaller pieces. Or eat them.
- Cover the middle piece of cake with thick chocolate icing.
- Place the two remaining pieces of cake on top of the iced piece, round side up, for the Hedgehog’s hump.
- Liberally cover the entire sponge with thick chocolate icing.
- Use chocolate buttons or flakes for the Hedgehog’s spines.
- The Hedgehog’s eyes and nose can be made using Smarties or similar.
Don’t forget the candles for the cake. They are often overlooked with all the other preparations.
Party bag ideas
- Books or small colouring-in books
- Glitter Tattoos
- Small packs of pencils
- Small bag of sweets
- Finger puppets
- A paper glider
- Decorate your own paper party bag
- Cake Pops
- A piece of birthday cake or a cup cake
Party politics - Invitation RSVP etiquette
For the party hosts
- Hand out the invites in plenty of time, ideally about 3 weeks before the party date.
- Include detailed information on the invitation such as the date, the start and finish times, the venue’s full address and postcode, and the name, email address and number for them to RSVP.
- Include a RSVP date to help you confirm final numbers prior to the day. You may wish to use words to the effect of: ‘As the venue requires final numbers prior to the party we would appreciate confirmation of your child’s attendance by (add RSVP date). If we do not hear from you by this date we will assume that your child is unable to attend’.
- As a second measure, about a week beforehand, you may wish to politely chase up parents who have not as yet RSVP’d.
For the guests
- RSVP as soon as you can, whether your child can make it or not.
- If something happens on the day of the party, and your child can no longer attend, let your hosts know ASAP.
- If you are running late, or need to leave early then let the hosts know in advance.
- If you have not RSVP’d then don’t just turn up uninvited.
Don't Forget Items!
- Candles for the cake
- Candle holders
- Cake knife
- You may wish to include party bags for unexpected additional guests or young siblings
- Printable directions, including the postcode of the party venue
Five Pound Gift Ideas
Does it seem like your child is attending a different birthday party each week? Needing suggestions for generic party gifts that won’t break the bank? If you are super-savvy you will have already stocked up on a number of general items in the Sales, if not, here are some ideas for a fiver:
- Colouring-in sets and basic craft kits
- Travel and Pocket games
- Top Trumps
- Books, jotters or notepads
- Pamper packages filled with hair bands, bobbles and snazzy hairclips
- Nail art kits
- Superhero action figures