Childrens' Parties in Norfolk
Everyone remembers parties from their childhood, so when it’s your child’s turn to host a party, naturally you will want to make it extra special for them.
Thankfully, it’s pretty easy to arrange a bespoke party, whether this is at home or a party venue of choice.
Many venues and entertainers offer a multitude of packages to suit different tastes and budgets, which you can read about in this party guide.
The great reward for all the effort, is a very happy child, who will be filled with plenty of fond memories...
So, what are the latest Children's Party Trends for 2018?
Science and Slime Parties
Science and Slime parties engage young minds with a combination of thrilling demonstrations, wacky experiments and plenty of hands-on activities. Many science party companies run age-related, interactive games so children can concoct exciting things such as gooey DIY slime, amazing bubbles and colour-changing potions. Enormous fun and educational too.
Unicorn, Rainbow and My Little Pony Parties
Unicorns, Rainbow and My Little Pony are big news at the moment, so if your child wants this as his or her party theme, you will be spoilt for choice as many shops and partyware stores currently provide a mass of items to suit all budgets.
Add an extra element of surprise with some fun quirky goodies such as rainbow juice, unicorn photo booth props, rainbow wands, unicorn magic potion or My Little Pony invites.
Fairy Tents and Indoor Teepees
Fairy Tents and Indoor Teepees are great places for the children to enjoy a mini adventure away from the watchful eye of the adults in charge. Inside their ‘secret’ den they can use their wildest imaginations to tell fantastic stories and play fun spy games. Furnish the tent or den with sparkly fairy lights or lanterns and pad it out with cosy rugs and comfortable cushions. A food hamper filled with a feast of cupcakes, chopped fruit and snacks will go down a treat too. For inspiration take a look at the Pinterest pages – fairy tents and indoor teepees
Computer Gaming Parties
Video game, console and coding parties bring birthday celebrations well into the 21st century, and have become hugely popular party options among boys and girls. The games can be put into an inclusive multiplayer mode enabling youngsters to challenge each other in a fun way. The choice of games is vast – choose from singing and dancing games, or football and Minecraft games, for example.
Ice-cream and Milkshake Parties
Ice-cream and milkshake parties offer a really appetising option, enabling guests to have fun concocting their own indulgent delicacy. Many family friendly cafes and venues provide this type of party where half the fun is consuming the final creation. Needless to say, this a great option for those on a budget, as the food is part of the package.
Make sure you don't forget anything important by using this party checklist. Click on the links below for more...
For parties at home click here
For parties at a venue click here
For party game ideas click here
For party food ideas click here
For an easy to make birthday cake click here
For party bag ideas click here
For invitation RSVP etiquette click here
For those 'Don't Forget Items' click here
For Five Pound Gift Ideas click here
Here are some details about party providers and entertainers close to you:
Tel: 01603 662781
Snow tubing is one of the fastest growing winter sports and the flattest county in the UK has one of the best slopes! Tubing parties are always great fun. Each tubing session can accommodate 20 people, making it an ideal group activity for a party. In addition to tubing, there is a chance to book a table in the function room, costing £20 for 1 ½ hours. Take some nibbles for the kids to eat or on a Saturday, take advantage of the catering services at the café.
Sticky Earth Café
Tel: 01263 519642
Family run and in its 17th year, this award-winning craft café offers creative fun for all the family, from ceramic, canvas or T-shirt painting, hand-filling a cuddly toy, deco patching, playing with foam clay or badge and mirror making. The spacious, friendly atmosphere is ideal for all ages and abilities. Pre-arranged birthday party and school group packages are also available for each of the activities on request. Booking during the school holidays is strongly advised.
Tel: 01463 852239
Dinosaurs come alive at Jurassic Journey and so do children’s parties! Jurassic Journey offers high energy and interactive party packages – there really is something for everyone.
Parties include guided tours with the famous Prof. Possilfossil, green screen fun, fossils to take home, tasty food and use of the Dino themed play area. Packages start from £13.95 per person. Children are sure to have an amazing and memorable time, and will be talking about the fun they had for weeks to come.
Tel: 01603 632307
Whitlingham Adventure offers a fantastic range of active party packages for children aged 8 years+. Choose from a range of party adventures including: kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddleboarding, raft building, sailing, archery, climbing, plus much more. All parties are hosted by fully qualified, fun and enthusiastic staff, and should you want it, a function room is available to hire for a variety of events such as parties, celebrations and meetings. Let Whitlingham Adventure provide an unforgettable, fun-filled party for your child - to book, call the friendly bookings team.
Jump for Joy
Tel: 01603 721872
At a Jump for Joy party, children will be able to enjoy a fun filled 60 minutes in the wonderful play area and afterwards head to the Banqueting Hall for a 45-minute delicious party feast. A delicious assortment of fresh sandwiches, sausages, cheese, crisps and healthy snacks are provided, followed by lollies and biscuits. Party bags are included and a gift for the birthday child. Just take a cake and candles. Jump For Joy is not open to the public whilst parties are in progress. For adults, a drink and snack bar is available. Jump for Joy has a junior play frame for ages 4-10 years and toddler play frame for ages 1-4 years.
Tel: 01603 740730
Namco Funscape in Bowthorpe, Norwich is not just a bowling alley, it offers a whole family entertainment package. Full of arcade games, ping pong, air hockey, Costa Coffee and an impressive array of delicious and varied food for all the family, it really is the ideal venue to keep the family active and entertained. An air-conditioned licensed bar offers sanctuary for parents, with Sky Sports providing coverage of all the latest sporting events. Function suites are available to hire for a variety of events, from meetings and conferences to parties and celebrations. Namco Funscape is both adaptable and flexible. Throw in free secure parking and easy access from the A47; it is ideally suited for any occasion.
Tel: 01953 604526
Hulabaloos is a family-run indoor and outdoor children’s play and party centre located near to Wymondham, just off the A11. It has a large multi-level soft play arena, a separate multi-level laser blaster arena and a spacious outdoor playground. The comfortable cafe serves tasty hot and cold food and ground bean coffee. Hulabaloos offers a huge range of parties for children of all ages - from the Traditional Soft Play to the Exciting Laser Blaster, to the Be My Bear to the Cupcake Decorating parties. Private Hire is available for larger party groups who just want the whole place to themselves. Hulabaloos offers very competitive prices – check out their Facebook page for special deals and ask about the loyalty card scheme.
Pensthorpe Natural Park
Tel: 01328 851465
Pensthorpe Natural Park is the perfect location for your child to have a memorable birthday party. As well as access to the 700 acres of outdoor adventure with wildlife, trails and activities around every corner, children can take a walk on the wild side in WildRootz, an outdoor play area like no other, and the award winning indoor play area, Hootz House. Party packages are available for a minimum of ten children, which includes; entry for five adults attending with the party group; your very own decorated party room in Hootz House; each children attending will receive a free voucher to return to Pensthorpe.
Pensthorpe will provide the invitations, food and play and all you need to do is turn up!
The FunFort indoor soft play and outdoor adventure play area at Castle Carvery restaurants is the perfect venue to hold a fun filled birthday party. All children’s birthday parties include FunFort birthday party invitations and a play in the FunFort, amongst the ball pond, slides, spinners, rollers and lots more. The party also includes a children’s choice of party meal and drink, from the special birthday menu, and every child will receive a filled party bag with balloon. There is a dedicated area for toddlers under the age of two, ensuring that they don’t miss out on the fun. To book your child’s fun filled birthday party, call your nearest Castle Carvery.
Hautbois Activity Centre
Tel: 01603 737357
www.hautbois.org.uk or www.girlguiding-anglia.org.uk
Hautbois Activity Centre has plenty of ideas for your outdoor explorers, who may be seeking a different type of party! Party sessions involve fun outdoor activities and are tailored to keep everyone occupied. With qualified instructors at each session and a selection of party menus to suit your requirements, Hautbois Activity Centre can create a truly unique birthday experience and ensure that everything is as special as possible.
High Altitude Trampoline Park
Tel: 01603 567200
Take the stress out of your child’s party and let High Altitude Trampoline Park do all the work. High Altitude parties are all inclusive packages, with no mess for you to clean up at the end, so you can sit back and relax, while your special little someone has the fantastic day they deserve. From your initial enquiry to the day itself, you’ll find the whole process a piece of cake… that can be supplied too! For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Roarr! Dinosaur Adventure
Tel: 01603 876310
Roarr! Dinosaur Adventure offer great birthday packages for your little monsters. Parties are action-packed and fun-filled adventures and there are two birthday packages on offer, namely Standard or Gold parties. All parties include park admission, a meal in a decorated party room and invitations. Gold parties include some quality time with the park mascot Dippy the Dinosaur, and the birthday child will also receive their very own birthday card and certificate signed by Dippy himself, and a £10 Gift Voucher that can be used on site.
Looking for a new idea for your child’s birthday? Why not treat them to a cupcake decorating party inspiring them to get creative in the kitchen? At a Lily-Bels Cake party, each child will decorate 4 cupcakes. Afterwards they can show off their culinary achievements to their friends and family, presented in a display box and a certificate. Lily-Bels Cakes can go to your home, or chosen location, with homemade cupcakes ready for the decorating and fun to start.
Bure Valley Railway
Tel: 01263 733858
Book a birthday party package at the Bure Valley Railway and have a great choo-choo time.
Choose either a charter diesel train for £120 or a steam train for £150, for a 30-minute trip from Aylsham to Brampton and return. The price allows up to 40 people to travel, so why not invite the parents as well. For party food, the Whistlestop Café at Aylsham Station offers a selection of hot or cold food from as little as £4 per head (minimum 10 children). Take your own decorations and cake to complete this special day.
Tel: 01603 403220
Funkys Norwich throws fantastic children’s parties! Let Funkys take the hassle out of your child’s birthday party with a package to suit you. Choose from a roller skating party on the purpose-built maple wood skating rink, or an adventure play party in the soft play area which stretches over 3 floors with tunnels, slides, zip wires and more. A hot meal and a drink is included in all the party packages.
Party Checklist: For parties at home
- Decide on the timings and date of the party
- Decide on how many children you can comfortably accommodate in your house
- Send out the invitations
- Sort out the entertainment if it’s required. Book the entertainer, face painter, bouncy castle
- Plan in the fun factor or create a theme
- Sort out a music playing device
- Select party games for the children to play
- Source decorations, party tableware, balloons and party hats
- Purchase the food and drink
- Get the birthday cake
Party Checklist: For parties at a venue
- Sort out party numbers
- Create a small list of your child’s favourite party venues in preferential order
- Check the availability of the venues and if there are any special deals
- Book a date and time with the venue. Pay the deposit
- Get the name and telephone number of the main party organiser at the venue
- Get the party invitations from the venue and send them out
- Sort out the food with the venue and establish whether a birthday cake is supplied
- Confirm numbers with the venue prior to the day
Party game ideas
Traditional party games always go down a treat. Here’s a list of some of the most classic children’s games:
- Pass the Parcel
- Musical Statues
- Musical Bumps
- Musical Chairs
- Chinese Whispers
- Blind Man’s Donkey
- Animal Charades
- Treasure Hunt
And here are a few new party game ideas –
- The Tray Game
- Dead Ants
- Doughnuts on a String
- Marsh-mallow Bobbing
- Piñata Games
Remember to stock up on prizes to award to the winning children.
Party Food Ideas
- The birthday cake!
- A choice of sandwiches with simple fillings such as plain ham, cheese and tuna. Mix some salad leaves into some of the sandwiches – if the children don’t like it they can always take out the salad! Think about supplying some healthy options which are visually appealing and tasty.
- Chopped up vegetables such as carrots, mangetout, peppers, cucumber with cream cheese or houmous for dips
- Cheese straws
- Potato wedges
- Pizza slices
- Mini sausages and sausage rolls
- Cheese and pineapple on sticks (or uncooked sticks of spaghetti)
- Crisps and popcorn
- Chopped fruit
- Mini-sponge cakes
- Jelly Boats made from scooped out and quartered oranges. (Halve an orange, scoop out the fruit, fill it with jelly. Once set, cut into quarters)
- Drinks: Either orange and blackcurrant squash, fruit water, fruit juice, milkshakes or plain water
Quick and Easy Chocolate Hedgehog Cake
- Buy or bake a round sponge cake.
- Divide the cake into three parts, the middle should be slightly bigger than the two sides, which should be the same size as each other.
- Cut a V-shape at the end of the middle piece of cake (this is the hedgehog’s nose). Discard the two smaller pieces. Or eat them.
- Cover the middle piece of cake with thick chocolate icing.
- Place the two remaining pieces of cake on top of the iced piece, round side up, for the Hedgehog’s hump.
- Liberally cover the entire sponge with thick chocolate icing.
- Use chocolate buttons or flakes for the Hedgehog’s spines.
- The Hedgehog’s eyes and nose can be made using Smarties or similar.
Don’t forget the candles for the cake. They are often overlooked with all the other preparations.
Party bag ideas
- Books or small colouring-in books
- Glitter Tattoos
- Small packs of pencils
- Small bag of sweets
- Finger puppets
- A paper glider
- Decorate your own paper party bag
- Cake Pops
- A piece of birthday cake or a cup cake
Party politics - Invitation RSVP etiquette
For the party hosts
- Hand out the invites in plenty of time, ideally about 3 weeks before the party date.
- Include detailed information on the invitation such as the date, the start and finish times, the venue’s full address and postcode, and the name, email address and number for them to RSVP.
- Include a RSVP date to help you confirm final numbers prior to the day. You may wish to use words to the effect of: ‘As the venue requires final numbers prior to the party we would appreciate confirmation of your child’s attendance by (add RSVP date). If we do not hear from you by this date we will assume that your child is unable to attend’.
- As a second measure, about a week beforehand, you may wish to politely chase up parents who have not as yet RSVP’d.
For the guests
- RSVP as soon as you can, whether your child can make it or not.
- If something happens on the day of the party, and your child can no longer attend, let your hosts know ASAP.
- If you are running late, or need to leave early then let the hosts know in advance.
- If you have not RSVP’d then don’t just turn up uninvited.
Don't Forget Items!
- Candles for the cake
- Candle holders
- Cake knife
- You may wish to include party bags for unexpected additional guests or young siblings
- Printable directions, including the postcode of the party venue
Five Pound Gift Ideas
Does it seem like your child is attending a different birthday party each week? Needing suggestions for generic party gifts that won’t break the bank? If you are super-savvy you will have already stocked up on a number of general items in the Sales, if not, here are some ideas for a fiver:
- Colouring-in sets and basic craft kits
- Travel and Pocket games
- Top Trumps
- Books, jotters or notepads
- Pamper packages filled with hair bands, bobbles and snazzy hairclips
- Nail art kits
- Superhero action figures